Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Shepherd's Voice

From the Word:
Click and read
John 10:1-21

Key Verse:
The gatekeeper opens the gate to him and the sheep recognize his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he gets them all out, he leads them and they follow because they are familiar with his voice. John 10:4 (The Message)

On January 4, 2007, our family officially began the process to adopt a child from Liberia, West Africa. I had been praying for a long time prior to that decision and had faithful friends praying along with me. I watched as God miraculously worked out the details and prepared our hearts for this big leap of faith. Confirmation arrived in amazing ways, convincing me this was His will for our family. I couldn't wait to send in our application and get the process going, fully expecting to have our adoption complete before the following Christmas.

Two years later, the adoption is nowhere near complete. In fact we have met obstacle after obstacle and closed door after closed door, to the point we've had to make the very difficult decision to stop the process all together. I'm still in shock that this is the way it is ending. How could this be the answer? Wasn't this God's will?

Going through this shook my faith. Did I really hear His voice, or did I make it all up? Maybe I can't hear God's voice after all. I was so sure of God's prompting to adopt, but obviously I was wrong. Or was I?

After a lot of soul searching, I am convinced it was God's will for us to go through this adoption journey. Our role was obedience. His job was to determine the outcome. These past two years were not wasted. The destination was different than I expected, but the journey was in His purpose for our lives. And I can rest knowing that I did hear my Shepherd's voice and followed where He led. That's all He asks.

Personal Application:
Can you point to decisions you've made that you thought were God's will for your life, but the outcome of those decisions seem to say otherwise? Is it possible that it was still God's will for you even if the destination was different than you expected? How has He used those circumstances in your life? Talk to Him about the disappointment or disillusionment you feel and ask Him to show you where to go from here.

Or are you currently at a place where He is asking you to obey? If you recognize the Shepherd's voice, take the leap of faith and follow His lead. How things turn out is up to Him. Your job is obedience. Re-read last week's post on decision making. After you've gone through those steps of seeking the Lord for direction, trust Him when He does lead.

Make this verse your prayer today:

God,
Teach me lessons for living so I can stay the course.
Give me insight so I can do what you tell me-
My whole life one long, obedient response.
- Psalm 119:33-34 (The Message)

More of God’s Word:

1. Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you. -Hebrews 13:5

2. And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. -Romans 8:28
3. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
-Jeremiah 29:11

4. Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. -Proverbs 3:5-6

5. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
- Psalm 143:8

No comments:

MySpace Backgrounds