Monday, September 14, 2009

Pray As You Would Want to be Prayed For

From God's Word:

Click and Read
Acts 12:1-17

Key Verse:

So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him.
- Acts 12:5 (NIV)


I'm sure she didn't think it was particularly profound when she said it, but it hit me hard and has stuck with me all these years later. I was in Bible Study and we were discussing praying for our persecuted brothers and sisters around the world.

One of the ladies said, "You know, I always just think about how I would want to be prayed for if it were me in that situation."

I remember sitting back and thinking, "Yeah. If I the roles were reversed how would I want to be prayed for?"

Recently, our church family had the privilege of praying for one of our very own in a situation of persecution for his faith. A man from our church was arrested and imprisoned for his faith when he was trying to leave his home country, a Muslim country where it is illegal to convert to Christianity. Saeed was facing the death penalty for sharing his faith, while his wife and children were here waiting for news.


His faith and his story gripped the hearts of so many of us, including my two young daughters. It was amazing to watch my little girls' grow in their faith and compassion as they prayed for Saeed to be freed and returned to his family. I had tears in my eyes when I told them a miracle happened and he was freed.

It is rare in this country of religious freedom to personally know someone suffering like that for their faith. Saeed's commitment to Christ and his family's courage touched so many of us. Many people gathered for prayer rallies and believed for the miracle God was so gracious to provide.

My eyes were opened once again to the power of prayer and the need to lift up our sisters and brothers suffering around the world for their commitment to Jesus. How would I want to be prayed for if that were me or my husband?

Personal Application:

How would you want to be prayed for if you were being persecuted for your faith? Write your ideas down and find ways to pray for someone who is suffering today simply for their faith.

How can you grow in your commitment to pray for the persecuted church?

Here are two situations you can lift in prayer:

Saeed needs our prayers for safety. Please pray him home.

These sisters need our prayers. Lift them and pray for their healing and that God would give them all they need.

Dear Lord,

Thank you so much for the freedom I enjoy in this country. Help me to remember the men and women around the world who love you and do not have that same freedom. Bring them to my mind and teach me how to pray. Remind me of how I would want to be prayed for in similar situations. Please comfort and heal the sisters who are suffering so much in prison right now, and please deliver Saeed safely home to his family. In all of these situations be glorified!

In Jesus' Name I pray,
Amen

More of God's Word:


Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering. -Hebrews 13:3 (NIV)

No comments:

MySpace Backgrounds