Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Ugly Green Monster

From the Word:

Click and Read Galatians 5:16-26

Key Verses:
Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another. - Galatians 5:26 (NLT)

Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. - Romans 12:15 (NKJV)

Jealousy reared its ugly head this week. I didn't see it right away, but during my prayer time, I had to face the fact that it was there, repent, and battle against the ugly green monster.

Isn't it strange that you can be jealous even of people you love? My jealousy issues were wide ranging, and involved many different people. There was jealousy over other people's success, recognition, opportunities, ministries, possessions, bodies, clothes, houses, etc. Once I was aware it was there and started digging in my heart and relationships, there was a lot to confess.

Most of us are familiar with the second part of Romans 12:15 where we are told to weep with those who weep, but it is easy to skip over the command to rejoice with those who rejoice. Why would we need to be reminded to do that? The happy part is the easy part, isn't it?

But is it really such an easy thing to do? Do you feel like rejoicing when:

- Your friend invites you over to see her new living room makeover?

- You want nothing more than to be married or to have a baby and you get THE CALL from a happy friend who wants to share her good news?

- You feel fat and frumpy but your friend loses weight and is now able to fit into a size 6?

- You watch someone else achieve their dreams when you wonder if you'll ever even find the time to TRY to realize your own?

- Someone else gets special recognition or enjoys success?

- You meet a beautiful woman and know you could only imagine what it would feel like to look like that?

Happiness for another person's good fortune does not come easily. It is against our nature. The natural man wants to be a god, wants to be significant, and adored. The natural man wants it all for himself. In our case, I should say "herself." Jealousy, envy, selfish-ambition- those are all trademarks of our sinful natures.

Thankfully, we are no longer slaves to that nature! God gives us the ability to be different. We are new creations in Christ. Because I belong to Him, I have the ability to love instead of envy. I can fight my sinful nature because of the Holy Spirit within me. I can rejoice with those who rejoice because as a daughter of the King of Kings, I have nothing to envy!

Personal Application:
Spend some time looking for evidence of envy in your own heart. How has that affected your relationships? Your ability to love? And your ability to rejoice with those who rejoice?

Take some time to confess any jealousy you find and pray that God will prevent it from continuing and harming relationships in your life.

Here are some steps to fighting jealousy that I've found effective:

- It is very difficult to be jealous of someone you are sincerely praying for. Often those feelings of jealousy are replaced with genuine love for that person as you pray for them. You begin to find it exciting when good things happen to them and feel privileged to be a part of participating in their lives in a special way.

- Praise God for creating that person. Thank Him for the ways their talents, beauty, success, etc. enrich the lives of those around them and fulfill the special purposes He has for their lives. Praise does amazing things in our hearts.

- Ask God to give you the eyes to see them the way that He sees them and the heart to love them the way that He does. Ask Him to equip you with genuine desire to see them prosper and to be blessed.

Father,

Forgive me for the way jealousy has crept into my life. I lift this situation ________ and ask you to work in a mighty way to heal that relationship. Change my thinking and replace my jealousy with genuine love. Show me how to esteem others above myself and to love like you love. Help me to appreciate the variety of gifts and talents you've given other people. Enable me to rejoice with those who rejoice. Help me to be content with my own life, gifts, and blessings. I thank you for the change you are going to do in my heart and in my relationships.

In Jesus' Name I pray,
Amen

More of God's Word:
1. A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones. -Proverbs 14:30 (NIV)

2. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature. - Romans 13:12-14 (NIV)

God bless your week! I am praying that you all have a blessed time celebrating Jesus' resurrection. He is Risen!

Love,

No comments:

MySpace Backgrounds