Sunday, November 9, 2008

Knock, Knock. It's Temptation!

From the Word

Click here and read Hebrews 4:14-16

Key Verse:
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.

– Hebrews 4:15 (NIV)

Recently, I watched Saturday morning cartoons with my daughter. We watched Larry Boy, the superhero cucumber from Veggie Tales. In this episode, Larry is working out while his distracted butler watches TV. Attempting to lift more than he is able, he drops the weight bar on his chest. Instead of coming to his rescue, the butler continues watching TV, half-heartedly encouraging Larry to just give it some more “oompf.”

As the cartoon shifted to the next scene, my daughter shouted out, “Look, Mommy. She’s the baaaddd apple.” Sure enough, a malevolent looking apple appeared on the screen singing in a sultry voice, “Knock, knock! Who’s there? It’s Temptation!”

I would never have guessed the Holy Spirit would choose to use a Veggie Tales episode to teach me something about my own life. I wish I had listened better to His still small voice, but instead I ruffled Amy’s hair, told her to enjoy the cartoon and went downstairs to the kitchen. Ignoring the big breakfast I had just eaten, I grabbed two jumbo chocolate chip cookies, downing them in record speed. The whole time the little song from the cartoon rang through my head, “Knock, knock, who’s there? It’s Temptation!” Guilt filled me as I realized another failure at what feels like a never-ending battle. I stood in the kitchen, hating myself for giving in to Temptation’s knock once AGAIN.

I know I am not alone. In this case my issue was overeating, but I have prayed with women in our church facing a multitude of addictions and temptations. We can all fill in our own blanks. The battle remains the same. Beating temptation can feel like the weight Larry Boy was trying to lift. Our well-meaning friends and family members tell us to just try harder, but we know the weight of the temptation is too heavy for us even if we give it all the “oompf” we can muster.

There is good news! Jesus knows! In the New Living Translation, our key verse reads like this: “This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin” (Hebrews 4:15). Instead of beating ourselves up or living in defeat, we must run to Jesus. He understands, and He alone can give us the power to beat it. It isn’t “oompf” we need. Our own hard work will fall short. It takes an attitude of surrender, saying to Him, “I can’t do this. Help.” The battles will be won by His strength, not ours. He can lift the weight off our chest with his little finger.

Personal Application:
How do you typically handle temptation? What about failures?

Consider this:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Take some time to pray about the specific areas of your life where you face ongoing temptation. Look at your typical response to temptation and failure. Instead of just resolving to try harder, ask Jesus to show you a new way and to help you develop a new plan for victory in your personal areas of temptation. Ask Him to reveal to you where you need to make changes in your lifestyle to be in His will. Don’t continue to keep doing the same thing when it isn’t working. Stop relying on your own strength. If victory over temptation is dependent on our own strength and inner resolve, we are doomed. We will always eventually run out of our own ability.

More of God’s Word:
Now may the God of peace make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again. God will make this happen, for he who calls you is faithful.
– 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 (NLT)

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
–1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord.
-Romans 7:24-25 (NLT)

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.
- Romans 8:1-2 (NIV)


Dear Lord,
I am so grateful You understand and care about my personal struggles. There is no temptation I face greater than Your power. Please deliver me from this and train me to flee when temptation knocks. Thank You that I can run to You instead of trying to win this on my own. Remind me to apply this truth every time I am faced with temptation. Provide the way out and give me the strength to choose the right way. Be the strength I need to be victorious over the knock of temptation.

In Jesus’ Name I pray,
Amen


I’d love to hear from you. You can leave a comment in response to this devotion below. Please remember that other people will be able to read your comments. God bless your week.

Love,

No comments:

MySpace Backgrounds