Sunday, November 16, 2008

Preparing for Thanksgiving

From the Word:

Click here and read Psalm 103

Key Verse:
Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits -Psalm 103:2

Each day this week, as I cleaned my kitchen, I set my laptop on the counter and listened to Family Life Today's daily broadcast. They were featuring Barbara Rainey's book, Thanksgiving, A Time to Remember, and played excerpts from a new audio version of the book. The narrator sounded like he was one of the Pilgrims, and I was drawn into the story.

It surprised me how little I actually knew about the history of the Pilgrims and the first celebrations of Thanksgiving. What about you? Do you remember the date the Pilgrim's landed on Plymouth Rock? Ever heard of Squanto? A few tidbits from my second grade Thanksgiving school program came back to me as I listened, but a lot of it, especially things of spiritual significance, were new to me.

I ended my week of listening inspired by the Pilgrim's desire to be grateful in the midst of such hardship. I want to be more spiritually prepared for Thanksgiving this year. So often, I get distracted by the practical preparation I have to do for company coming, the cooking, the family, Macy's parade, football, planning out my route for the big shopping day, etc. Thanksgiving usually comes and goes, and I forget to really truly give thanks. God gets left out of a celebration where He was supposed to be the guest of honor.

Not this year. I want to start now getting my heart ready to worship Him on November 27th in a special way. I want to be intentional about truly allowing him to be the guest of honor in my home and to do a better job of pointing my family's hearts toward gratitude.

Personal Application:

Click here to link to Family Life Today's series on Thanksgiving. Find some time this week to listen as a way of preparing your heart for the upcoming holiday.


In what ways can you plan ahead so your heart is focused on gratitude toward God and His many blessings this Thanksgiving? What obstacles can you see rising up to distract you? (tense family relationships, lots of work to do that day, loneliness?) Begin praying now that God would do a special work in your heart to make this year different.

How can you be intentional about directing your family's focus to true thanksgiving?

These are uncertain times in our country. In the midst of uncertainty and insecurity, there is no better time to stop and thank God for His provisions and to be reminded that our security is in Him.

More of God's Word:

1. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. - Philippians 4:6

2. It is good to give thanks to the LORD, and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night. For You, LORD, have made me glad through Your work; I will triumph in the works of Your hands. - Psalm 92:1-2, 4 (NKJV)

3. Know that the LORD, He is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the LORD is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations. - Psalm 100:3-5 (NKJV)

Father,

Please begin even now to prepare my heart for Thanksgiving. Show me how to prepare for the day and how to be intentional about making this a spiritually significant holiday for my family. Prevent me from being distracted, but instead make me fully focused on you, thanking you for your goodness toward me. Beyond this day, make me a woman who's heart is full of gratitude.


In Jesus' Name I pray,
Amen

God bless you this week! I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to leave me a comment, but as always remember the comments are visible to anyone reading this blog.

Love,

No comments:

MySpace Backgrounds