Sunday, November 30, 2008

Climbing the Scramble Ladder

Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. -Ephesians 5:15-16

I've been distracted this week by the silliest thing. It's a computer game called Scramble. Letters are placed in a 5x5 grid, and you have three minutes to find as many words inside the grid as possible. It's a part of the Facebook web page, so many of my friends have been playing the game as well. I can see their scores on the side of my computer screen, and each time I beat one of their scores, my pictures moves up the ladder.

I'm currently in second place behind my friend, Rachel, who has 220 points compared to my 162 points. Man has it brought out the competitive nature in me! Every free moment this week, I've been hunched over my computer typing away, desperately trying to beat Rachel's score. I knew I was in trouble when I closed my eyes to go to bed, and all I could see was the Scramble board.

It hit me how bad this addiction had become when my five-year-old daughter walked by me sitting at the kitchen table, looked at my laptop screen with a critical eye and said, "Oh good, you aren't playing that STUPID game!" Ouch!

If I died tonight, my tombstone could read, "Here lies Becky. She played Scramble. Over and over and over again." : )

Seriously, is that the legacy I want to leave? There is nothing wrong with a little entertainment now and then, but there is something wrong with placing such high priority on such a trivial thing. I'm coming to the end of my week feeling so far away from God, so spiritually blah, and so disconnected. And no wonder! Instead of quiet times this week, I played Scramble. "God, I'll be right there. I know you want to spend some time with me. Just one more round!"

How easily my attention can be shifted away from what matters. I'm so thankful for a new week, with a fresh start, and an opportunity to prioritize my life wisely.

Personal Application:

Who or what has had your focus this week?

How easily little distractions can move in, shifting our focus, and sending our hearts and minds on spiritual detours. If something has taken your eyes off of Jesus this week, confess it now, and ask Him to help you prioritize your life according to His priorities for you.


Father,
It is so easy to become distracted and dulled by the things of this world. So many things compete for my attention, taking my eyes off of those that have eternal value. Please reveal to me where my priorities and thoughts have shifted off course. I want to be in the center of your will. Help me to choose wisely how to spend my time and my mental energy so I can be effective for your Kingdom and able to hear your still, small voice.

In Jesus' Name I pray,
Amen


More of God's Word:

1. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. -Colossians 3:2 (NIV)
2. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. -Psalm 19:14 (NIV)

Love,

No comments:

MySpace Backgrounds